Monday, September 14, 2009

Stops at the Service Station

Day 22**Actions and Results

On day 13, I wrote about the touching story told in the book, Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White. The story is one of friendship between the spider Charlotte and the pig Wilbur, and the connection they share because of the threads in Charlotte's web.

I suppose I'm thinking about it again today because of this quote I found by Herman Melville. "We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

I love the image. Delicate silken strands running between myself and every other person, and whatever I send out along that strand, eventually coming back to me.

Sometimes we have the misfortune to be the recipient of negative vibrations from someone else's strand. I've come to realize that I can't worry about that. I really only have control over what I send out. Charlotte chose to send out friendship, service, and hope along her strand, and because of it, good things happened in Wilbur's life.

As I think about the thousands of precious strands that connect me with others, I find I want to be a Charlotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment