Saturday, September 5, 2009

Stops at the Service Station

Day 13**The Spider and the Pig

I just reread, Charlotte's Web, by E. B. White. It's a lovely story about Wilbur the pig and his friendship with Charlotte the spider. In this little book are big doses of truth about life. Contained within 184 pages are thoughts about the ebb and flow of time, gentle warnings about being judgemental, and sentiments about service; all told in a style of whimsy and delight.

I wanted to share a little bit of the book with you because it tells a perfect truth about friendship and service. I won't spoil the story for you if you haven't read it, but Charlotte has saved Wilbur's life in a miraculous way, and Wilbur wonders why.

"Why did you do all this for me?" he asked. "I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you."
"You have been my friend," replied Charlotte. "That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all the trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that."

Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment