Thursday, September 10, 2009

Stops at the Service Station

Day 18**Meals and Memories

My book, The Route, is a fictionalized account of my experiences delivering meals-on-wheels to an interesting, feisty, and funny group of seniors. Each Thursday I'd drop off meals and spend a few minutes with people whose lives were filled with stories and wisdom. In the process, I assure you, I got back much more than I gave.

That's the magical thing about service--you plant a little seed and all of a sudden you have an apple tree of abundance. Philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself."

I found this to be true. What a joy in my life that I met, and grew to love the wonderful folks on my route.

No comments:

Post a Comment