Monday, September 7, 2009

Stops at the Service Station

Day 15***Work and Service


Today is Labor Day where we celebrate the American worker by taking a day off to play and be with our families. I love that juxtaposition.


You may be wondering why I'm writing about work on my series of blogs concerned with service. This is my approach. Often we think of work as drudgery...something we slog through from day to day just to earn a paycheck. We're not aware of the service we're providing, nor do we appreciate the service other workers provide us. Perhaps if we turn our vision ever so slightly we can see work in a different way.


I get up in the morning and go down to breakfast. Thank you people in the factory who boxed the cereal that I'm eating. Thanks Mr. farmer who raised the cows that produced the milk. Thanks to the truck drivers that drive stuff all over the country. Thanks to the checker at the grocery store, the person who dry cleans my clothes, the bank teller, the road workers, the girl who cuts my hair, the police officers, the military men and women. The list of people to thank for their service is long.

Now, pat yourself on the back for the service you provide to others, and go out and enjoy your Labor Day by playing!

Oh, and don't forget to thank the girl who scoops your ice cream cone.

No comments:

Post a Comment