Sunday, August 30, 2009

Stops at the Service Station

Day 7**Sunday Services

My nephew, Brian sent me some notable thoughts about service, and I thought Sunday would be a lovely day to share them as they're taken from the Christian New Testament.

In the book of John, chapter thirteen, we find a tender story of the Savior and his disciples. Jesus knows that his ministry is about to end and he desires to impress on his followers one of the principle doctrines of the kingdom--service. He therefore instructs each of his disciples, in turn, to sit and allow him to wash their feet.

Feet washing in ancient times was done as a sign of respect. The guest's sandals were removed and the dirty feet were washed in a bowl of clean water. The task was usually performed by a member of the family or a servant.

Jesus knelt on the floor and washed not one pair of feet, but twelve. When his disciple, Peter began to protest that the Lord was too grand a person to wash his feet, Jesus gently reminded him, "You call me Master and Lord, and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you."

Peter learned that no one is so grand or important that they are above serving others, and that true service is not done for show or aggrandizement, but is offered in humility and anonymity. It's a good lesson for Sunday...and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment